HEAR FROM RACHEL WAITES, DIRECTOR OF RECRUITMENT AND ADMISSIONS AT CHICAGO BOOTH SCHOOL
Rachel Waites is the Director of Recruitment and Admissions, Executive MBA at the University of Chicago Booth School of Business, London campus. MBA center had a quick chat with Rachel so that she could offer some insight into the prospective candidates. Let’s see what she had to say.
- How candidates best exhibit that Booth School of business is the right choice for them?
– We expect Executive MBA candidates to do their ‘due diligence’ on the school and program. During the application process, the essay is an opportunity to tell us why Chicago Booth is the best fit for your career goals, and we also address ‘why Booth’ and ‘why an MBA’ in the interview. The Executive MBA represents a significant investment of time and money so we want to ensure that candidates have thought carefully about the potential return on this investment.
- Are there any major differences in how MBA versus executive MBA candidates are evaluated?
– The application process for both programs is somewhat similar in that we both look for candidates with a good academic track record, significant career progression and great recommendations. We want candidates who can articulate why Chicago Booth is the right fit and what they can contribute to the school and program. As the Executive MBA is a part-time program for senior-level managers we also look for evidence of company support and cooperation.
- What percentage of your class is composed of women? Does Booth take any steps to ensure that women pursue an MBA?
Last year (2015) 33% of the London based Executive MBA cohort were women. We work closely with female candidates to offer them additional support and assistance throughout the application process, should they need it. We also have a small scholarship fund aimed at widening diversity.
- What are the personalities shared by some of the individuals successful at Booth?
Our Executive MBA candidates are all smart, ambitious, collaborative and highly motivated. The Chicago Booth Executive MBA is perceived to be one of the most academically rigorous programs of its kind in the world – therefore we expect our students to ready for the challenge. We certainly don’t offer a ‘watered down’ version of our MBA to Executive level students. It’s a stimulating yet rewarding environment where everyone helps one another to excel.
- What are some of the advantages/ benefits enjoyed by a student pursuing an MBA at the London campus of the Booth School of business?
One of the benefits of the Chicago Booth Executive MBA is that it’s exactly the same whichever campus you choose – the same professors, the same content, the same quality, and the same program. If you choose the London campus, the experience will be ‘pure Chicago’, even though our students fly in from all over the world to attend class. We don’t partner with any local schools or offer a joint MBA. The quality and consistency of delivery are very important to our students and alumni. The London campus is certainly convenient for students living in the EMEA region, and you’ll develop a close network with students in this region along with your international cohort in Chicago and Hong Kong too.
- What would be your top three pieces of advice to candidates looking to apply to Booth?
- Do your research on Chicago Booth and the Executive MBA – speak with our students, faculty, and alumni, attend a class, spend time on our website. Demonstrate your knowledge throughout the application process.
- Discuss the Executive MBA with your employer – make sure it’s the right fit for you and your company. Their support is a crucial part of the application process.
- Have an early conversation with the Executive MBA admissions team. We can give you some personalized advice on your eligibility for the program, and guide you through the application process. You can request a ‘CV review’ via our website.
Hubert ([email protected]) is the Founder of MBA Center, an elite test prep and admission consulting organization collaborating with the best test prep centers in Europe and India. Over the last 24 years, Hubert has developed the World MBA Tour and co-founded ACCESS MBA. Hubert’s passion is teaching, though. Holder of a perfect 800, Hubert has trained thousands of GMAT students, written and developed over 50 TOEFL, TOEIC, IELTS, SAT, and GMAT prep books, software and e-learning platforms.
Hubert has the most impressive track record in the industry with 3,000+ MIM, MIF, MBA, EMBA, and Ph.D. students accepted in the best universities in the world: